Friday, October 5, 2007

The Art of Obituaries


My favorite part of the reading the paper are the obituaries. I like when the paper really gives the obituaries the space they deserve with several paragraphs, a picture, and even a family crest. I’ve asked Dan to create a Stewart – Steinberg family crest. I can picture the Dysfunctional Bungalow Crest flying proudly, yet faded and tattered.

For one summer in college I worked as an intern at a small Jewish newspaper in Cincinnati. A short stubby guy seated next to me was assigned the obituaries and he hated it. Personally, I was envious of his important task, but if I it brought up he could rant for 45 minutes about how the editor was overlooking his oozing talent for hard-core journalism.

I love the details in obituaries like: the sports teams of which the recently deceased were fans of, heirloom rose gardens, church pie contests, hand-sewn quilt collections donated to inner-city children, runner-up as River Raisin Queen, 1926. These are the fine points in life that can be overlooked until the end.

I should write my obituary now instead of leaving it up to a resentful newspaper writer who already feels undervalued and does not understand the art of an obituary. A few well-placed exaggerations like my nickname, "spark plug" and favorite hobbies like amateur-anesthesiology and sacred-ground-architecture would make it a must-read.
Friends would shake their heads with sincere regret and confusion, “I really didn’t know her…why didn’t I spend more time her? Here I paid full price on anesthesia at the hospital last week, and I could of gotten a deal from ole' spark plug.”

No comments: