Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Rehabbing the Holidays


One holiday season I considered going to rehab. Rehab seemed like the perfect place to hide. No one would expect anything out of me like gifts, parties, cards, smiling, visiting, showering, etc. A nice relaxing, low to no pressure holiday season.


The idea of it gave me a sigh of relief. When I explained my idea I was surprised by the looks of surprise and the immediate questions I got, "what are you going into rehab for?" I had not worked out the details and was annoyed friends were not more supportive about my plan.


That year, I obviously didn't want to make the long boring drive “home.” In the past I returned home not always feeling comfortable in the place listed under family in my address book. There would be the same annual questions that are not particularly difficult, yet somehow nearly impossible to accurately answer. I’m not sure good definite answers exist for those small talk questions, if they do, families all over would be left with only the generic crackle of television.

No comments: