Friday, February 20, 2009

I'm so glad it's changed


Parents often talk about how having a child changes them…the house is taken over by brightly- colored-bouncy seats, finding sweet potato on you sleeve (just happened), lack of sleep, becoming immune to smells of poop.

Last Saturday I was at our local grocery store sans make-up and in clothes that welcome baby food-spitting fights. Trips out are not as “successful” as they used to be. I am focused on enjoying my baby. This means a combination of swinging my head around (he likes my hair tickling his face), nibbling on his socked feet, singing, and dancing. I miss a few things on the list because we are belly laughing aisle after aisle.

We get to the frozen section and my husband remembers some of what we have forgotten and dashes off. He returns to my performance of Huey Lewis’, “Do you believe in love” to our son.

What struck me funny was that no surrounding shoppers had a reaction. They kept their heads down like nothing was happening. No call for help, tossing of produce, booing, giggles, humming, hip shakes, disapproving nods, 911calls. I would have a reaction to an adult woman knowing all the words to a Huey Lewis song, let alone someone believing she is in a karaoke bar instead of the ice cream section of her grocery store.

During the brief instrumental, I wonder for a minute if this isn’t how our neighbors parent, and then go on, “I used to have you in a photograph, I’m so glad it’s changed.”

No comments: