Thursday, July 23, 2009

Birth of a Family


One year has passed since our son was born. We reviewed all the amazing skills he has mastered in a year like rolling over, laughing, crawling, drinking from a cup, eating bits of food with his tiny fingers. But this year seems like more than a list or items to check off.

We've lived an entire year as a family. As a mom, dad, and baby. We've lived in a house. We've grown, gotten shots, slept, cried, kicked our feet, spent money, fallen down, danced, sang, burned cookies, clapped, gone for walks, grew flowers, pinched the dog, baked pumpkin muffins, gone to the doctor, lounged on the porch, stained clothes, napped, fed the birds, wiped runny noses, worked, felt lonesome, thrown toys, been hungry, saved money, took baths, played, gotten bruised, felt overwhelmed, read books, played at the park, cuddled, gotten frustrated, felt mad, chewed on itty-bitty toes, worried, screamed, watched thunderstorms and snow fall, lost puzzle pieces, had out-of-town visitors, gone on trips, laughed, missed each other, gotten bored with each other, felt scared, done laundry.

Until now I have not lived as part of a functional everyday family. That is what I was most scared about when it came to being a mother. That is what I knew I didn't have the experience to do. No book could show me how to be "regular" when life went up and down as it naturally does.

I feel proud of my son being one. And I feel proud to be part of my regular-old-ho-hum family. Happy birthday to us.

No comments: