Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A future baked from scratch


I shared two pieces of honey cake with my 14 month old son last weekend on Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. Seemed simple enough, I found a recipe that appealed to me, baked it with the usual mishaps (hand mixer started smoking, couldn’t find 3 ingredients I was sure I had), and then the cake was consumed on a lovely fall-like afternoon.

But this was different. Yes, the cake was especially delicious and Duncan could not get it into his mouth quickly enough, but this moment made me cry. I had accidentally started a positive family tradition where I had none prior to this moment. I had started a positive family tradition with food to top it all off.

Starting out being a parent I felt so inadequate because of my upbringing. But as I move and live through parenting, feeling my way around it, I am finding that I don’t need a schedule or a how-to book for creating traditions or even spur-of-the-moment-fun. This seems to occur naturally when fairly happy functional people who love each other are together.

Earlier I was convinced I was lacking the mommy-gene, but I seem to be finding my way around the honey cake crumbs and sticky-little-fingers just fine.

3 comments:

Eve Cribbs, LCSW said...

Oh, the love you baked into your cake. You are one wonderful mother and Duncan deserves the best. I will continue to be inspired by knowing you Iris.

steinstew@gmail.com said...

Thanks so much for reading and for your feedback. Please come back and "visit" me here. I will keep in touch and miss you already. I know you are enjoying your new home!

Anonymous said...

You are such a special and wonderful person - and just being that person with your son - is the best way to be a good Mom. It is so much fun to start new traditions and make new memories - & it is especially fun when you can be the one to introduce your little one to something new :-) lmk