Thursday, December 11, 2008

Blood Sisters


As an outsider I relate to the City of Detroit. To its underdog spirit. We each have been misunderstood, unloved, disliked, discounted, gritty, historic, bitter, lonely, funny, dramatic, dark, fearful, isolated, abandoned. Depth and backbone and intensity with architecture and stories and music and food so sensual you realize why people are devoted.

Detroit can be like having your own secret attic at your fingertips. Steam billowing up from the street, my husband says hell is beneath downtown Detroit like something off a movie set. The city looks its best at 5 o’clock in misty gray.

I never feel out of place. People don’t always look like me. The setting may not be what I have thought to be comfortable, yet in a deeper way I know this is me and I am accepted with my cracks, dents, dusty baggage and frizz.

It’s bumpy and confusing and loud and unfair and scary and broken, but it’s not lost. There is faith and warmth and a willingness to share with an outsider. Nothing can make you feel more at home. Even the deep potholes and grit are laced with glimmers of hope. This is where my soul has found comfort.

It’s like your favorite foods, favorite places to be kissed and cuddled, music, pajamas, who you fall in love with, and if you’re honest, these things aren’t the prettiest, but they feel right deep down in the center of your belly just like home.

No comments: