Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It's Worth the Helmet Hair


I believe in helmets. Helmets are the ultimate tool in the protection of our greatest resource. I’ve seriously considered wearing a helmet in day-to-day situations.

I’ve experienced intense verbally abusive situations giving me the urge to take cover in a doorway, place my head between my knees, and shout, “damn, why don’t I have my helmet?”

Having a helmet from birth would have given me the extra protection I needed. Like using sunscreen from an early age can help in your later years against harmful, damaging rays.

My husband knows a philosophy professor who drives around Ypsilanti wearing a crash helmet. People laugh at him. I envy his courage and insight. He is acting out my safety fantasy.

When I begin wearing my helmet, I will carry extra helmets around town to hand out to strangers having a rough patch. Detroiters often ask me for money. Instead I give them food. I could add a helmet to the granola bar or muffin.

One woman simply refused my offer of peanut butter crackers when she asked for money, “Honey, I’d much rather have a beer.” Maybe what she really needed was the protection of that helmet.

No comments: