Thursday, September 20, 2012

Tear Jerker


When do grown-ups have a chance for a good-well deserved cry? My kids get a couple in before we leave the house in the morning. Can I do three minutes of tearing up driving to meet my carpool partner? Grab a minute or two of wet-eye in the handicapped bathroom at work? Under my desk on at lunch? By the Detroit River, I could add a cup for donations and sit down for my cry, make a few bucks, making it a promising and prospering solution.
 
In the afternoon could I squeeze in four minutes driving to daycare? How safe is it to cry while driving? Better or worse than driving while snacking, desperately digging in your purse for a ringing phone, applying mascara, trying to rub a scratch out of a favorite CD, or reaching to the car seat behind you to find a much needed pacifier?
 
Not during dinner. Is it sanitary to cry on food? Not after play time because crying has started about having to clean up. Can’t read a bedtime story and cry because I can’t see. Crying would undo any cleaning/picking up around the house by soaking the floors and furniture. How about while packing lunches? But then we are back to the sanitary issue. Before bed? By then I am so tired I forgot I was planning to cry.
 
 
Society needs to embrace crying. Add crying rooms like nursing rooms at work. Coffee and crying cafes. Crying parks filled with overstuffed couches and end tables with Costco-size tissues. Cities could repurpose empty phone booths for on-street-private crying. How about a crying port-o-potty? Depending on the severity of your situation and if you’ve got some Kleenex in your pocket it could work in an emotional pinch.

No comments: